If you are working on developing and maintaining websites, you may occasionally encounter the need to access and upload files directly to the root directory. The root directory is a folder in the system of your website that contains foundational, base-level files that help your website to function properly.
From time to time, it is necessary to update or upload files directly to this directory to help your website operate. These needs can vary, and may include the following:
- Uploading an XML sitemap file to your WordPress site
- Uploading a robots.txt file to your WordPress site
- Verification of a website with using an HTML file upload method
- Verification of other third-party services that integrate directly into your website
5 Steps To Quickly Upload Files to a Root Directory
There are a variety of methods that you can use to upload files directly to your WordPress Root Directory, but one of the easiest methods is by using a WordPress plugin such as File Manager Pro. Regardless of your method, the process of uploading a file is relatively similar and simple:
- Locate the file you want to upload to your Root Directory
- Open Your File Manager in cPanel or WordPress File Manager Pro Plugin
- Navigate to the root directory of your website as identified
- Click “Upload” and select the file that you wish to add. Select “Submit”, and wait for verification that the file has been uploaded.
- Exit the file manager.
Quick and easy! Just like that, you have successfully added a file or set of files to your WordPress site root directory. When navigating within your WordPress site, it is vital that you take care not to delete or change files that may be necessary to the functioning of your site. Unnecessarily changing these files may result in damaging your site.
If you are looking for a way to navigate among your various WordPress directories with ease and confidence, add File Manager Pro to your WordPress plugin library! With File Manager Pro, you can enjoy the benefits of one of 2020’s top WordPress backend plugins that allows you complete access to your system while avoiding the headache of complicated navigation systems and coding.
Want to learn more for yourself, and see other helpful WordPress tips and tricks just like this? Head online to download the File Manager Pro plugin today!